Students are required to have a computer with Internet access for classes. The computer must be an actual computer – smart phones, iPads, Androids, Chromebooks, etc., are not acceptable substitutes because they lack software compatibility necessary to complete all assignments and tests. Financial costs for the necessary equipment and internet access are the responsibility of the student.
Students needing to purchase a computer may do so through the Texarkana College Bookstore. Systems purchased through the bookstore meet or exceed all requirements, are competitively priced, and may be purchased using financial aid funds. If the system is purchased through another source, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure the system meets all requirements.
Computer systems requirements:
- Webcam, microphone, and speakers or headphones
- Windows 10 or a recent version of Mac OS (minimum Sierra). Windows 10 S mode is not supported
- Hardware capable of running Microsoft Teams (free download) and supports multi-media playback
- Support for Chrome or Microsoft Edge – Note: Firefox, Safari, or other browsers will not work
- Able to run Microsoft Office which will be provided free to TC students
- Adobe Reader or another PDF viewer
- Antivirus software such as Windows Defender or another 3rd party anti-virus solution
- The Respondus Lockdown browser is used for taking tests; therefore, the system must be capable of running this software. Most newer systems that meet other specifications should work.
Students should regularly backup content to prevent loss of coursework due to hardware failure. Backup copies of documents and other coursework may be placed on OneDrive cloud storage. OneDrive is included free of charge for all TC students. A list of Internet service providers can be found on the TC website at: https://www.texarkanacollege.edu/coronavirus/